San Diego has earned its place as “America’s Finest City” with beautiful year-round weather, pristine beaches and endless entertainment. Many know about San Diego’s top attractions like SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo and the historic Gaslamp district; but, there’s so much more to this diverse SoCal city.
Here are five of our favorite off-the-beaten-path activities and attractions:
1. Spend a day on Coronado Island: Leave your car on the mainland and take the ferry over to this quaint yet bustling island right across the bay from downtown San Diego. Once there, rent beach cruisers from Bikes and Beyond and set off on a leisurely ride around the island’s paved bicycle path. Be sure to make a stop at the famous Moo Time Creamery for an afternoon treat.
2. Get Competitive at the Del Mar Racetrack: See some of the country’s best thoroughbred race horses compete at this gorgeous ocean view track located “where the turf meets the surf” in northern San Diego. Try your hand at a wager and enjoy delicious food and drink from one of the onsite restaurants or bars. Embrace tradition by dressing up and wearing your favorite hat.
3. Work up a Sweat at Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve: Become one with nature without leaving the city at the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve (right next to the famous Torrey Pines golf course). Find parking along the beach outside the entrance to the park to avoid the $20 parking fee, and walk alongside the paved road up the cliff. Once at the top, enjoy the dramatic views before heading down one of the trails to the beach.
4. Enjoy the View from Sunset Cliffs: There is no better place to view the spectacular San Diego sunset than Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach. Check your weather app for the time of sundown, and arrive about 30 minutes before. Take a seat on one of the benches or find your own natural seat on the sculpted stone cliffs while witnessing a sunset to remember. Be sure to bring a blanket…once the sun sets, the temperature cools down.
5. Take to the Open Ocean for a Day of Fishing: Unleash your adventurous side with a sport fishing charter excursion. Experts lead full or half-day tours in the open ocean, seeking yellowfin tuna, yellowtail and more. Regardless of the size of your catch, you’re sure to return with great memories.
For a full San Diego experience, enjoy overnight accommodations at the newly renovated beachfront Blue Sea Beach Hotel or uptown Sommerset Suites Hotel. For more information or to book, call toll free 800-720-0223.